Thursday, November 16, 2017

Starting to Finish

Just about every weekday morning I start out with some sewing to set the pace of my day. If I don’t sew in the morning when I’m not traveling, the day just doesn’t start out right. After about 2 hours at the sewing machine, I take my morning shower and get busy on the computer.

In the evenings I like to relax with tv or an audible book and some hand work.

This little project is pretty much nothin’ but leftovers from my Splendid Sampler quilt project, completed earlier this year. I used the Creative Grids Mini Pineapple tool to turn strips into pineapple blocks. There is more information on this project here.



I debated about the setting for these blocks, then decided to add some pieced sashing and cornerstone units. Separating the pineapple blocks creates a different feeling than sewing the blocks directly to each other. But with only a limited amount of leftovers, and small 6” square blocks, I needed to increase the size of the quilt unless I wanted something doll-sized. So there you have it. Sashing and cornerstones on the scene.



I found the perfect border fabric on one of my last stops in Alaska this summer at a shop in Soldotna. The fabric is covered with moose, in tones of blue and brown to compliment the leftover fabric blocks perfectly. With just a whack of that fabric left, I decided to use it in the backing.



I plan to piece a little bit of bright blue and a lot of the dark brown fabric to each side of the leftover moose print. That’s where I had to leave off yesterday morning. When the backing is ready, the quilt has only to be sandwiched and quilted and it’ll be done. Operative word: ONLY. Ha!



Earlier this week, I finished this quilt top. I started this guy *eons* ago. It’s a Crabapple Hill pattern called Snow Days.



I’s lovely. BUT. I’m not sure what made me think all this detailed backstitch embroidery would be a good idea.



At the time when this pattern was first released, it seemed like a good idea. And it was fun for the first few blocks. But I have to admit, with a lot of starts and stops (who wants to work on a winter quilt in the middle of summer?) it got to be a bit of a drag.

Truly, this is going to be an amazing quilt, but I have to admit that it has lost its sparkle for me.

At 66” square, I think it needs some kind of border. And that stack of fabrics on the stool to the left two photos up are the remnants from the blocks. (I can’t believe that stack of fabrics is still in tact - and even more miraculously that I was able to find them in the far reaches of my stash!)

So now the debate over a border begins. One option is to go right in and sandwich and quilt the dern thing and get ‘er done. But it sure would be a shame to come this far and feel like I short-changed the project just to finish it. What would you do? I'd love your thoughts!

The pattern doesn’t call for another border. But who follows the pattern anyway, right? Says the person who writes patterns for a living.

Before you say it, yes, I have a *thing* for blue and brown together. Can you tell?

Just keeping it real . .

Happy Stitching!
Joan

6 comments:

  1. Your pineapple quilt is just gorgeous. Love the colors! I also love the embroidered quilt, Snow Days. I have a Crab Apple pattern I ordered that has Christmas/winter embroidery also but I never seem to be able to get it started! You have inspired me to look for it again! haha!! I would like a
    border on Snow Days using those fabrics. There is too much work in that beautiful quilt to not finish it up. Post it when done! Go for it!! Helen G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her patterns are really lovely. Lots of detail, and really do move right along. The key is getting started. . . .I think Snow Days needs a border too, but it's fighting me, so the debate continues! Might just need to simmer a while.

      Delete
  2. I love the embroidery of the house and trees. I'd do a narrow border of the blue around the outside and call it done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the simpler border and 'call it done' concept! It does need at least one more 'something' doesn't it?

      Delete
  3. Definitely LOTS of work in those embroidered panels! Thumbs up for your perseverance.

    To make this quilt larger, I would add a string border of your remnants but with a bit of the blue (embroidery background) at one end of each strip in varying heights to repeat the jagged placement of the (current) outermost blocks. And at the corners, I'd just make an HST out of the strip/blue blocks.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I like this idea! I think that jagged border is what's holding me back. A border treatment can't be too 'structured' or it'll break all that jagged goodness! Great idea!

      Delete