Thursday, September 7, 2017

I Confess . . .

 My fabric stash has gotten a *little* out of control.

I suppose I’m a typical quilter. I see fabric, I buy fabric. I use some, I have ‘some’ leftover for future projects.

Some = Shelves of it.

I’m not sure when it happened that one or two stacks of fabric became several stacks. A system to keep it under control and accessible that used to work pretty well, doesn’t work so well any more.

I have a work room in my basement, with spacious shelves on one wall. Really nice. I store my fabric in stacks. Generally, by color. Over time the stacks have grown.


The stacks of fabric work out okay, until I need to grab a little something for a project. Inevitably, that little something is at the bottom of one of those stacks.



So, the stacks really don’t look that bad, right? But then there’s this . . . Ugh-h.



I have decided that it’s time for a change. Time to tidy things up. Organize by color.



Then arrange fabrics like books on a bookshelf so they are much easier to access.



I have also decided that the change isn’t going to happen over night. The project to organize has become too big.

And. . . if it’s gonna work - for me, anyway - it needs to be fun.

Maybe, if you have a similar situation on your hands, you’d like to join me in my quest for a little more stash organization. I’m in the process of developing the Tidy Fabric Club. I’ve mentioned this in passing before, but now that’s quilting season, I’ll be putting my plan into action. Could it be your plan, too? Hey, if we have ScrapTherapy®, then maybe we can create a little YardageTherapy! *wink!*

If you are interested, click here, scroll down a bit, and fill in the pertinent data. You’ll be the first in the know as the Tidy Fabric Club kicks off officially.

If all this tidy stuff isn't your cup of tea, don't worry, I've got a few other new things percolating. If you're a bird lover - like me - then you may want to stay tuned for more fun stuff . . . Coming soon to a Hummingbird Highway near you!

Happy Stitching!

Joan Ford

2 comments:

  1. I ruler folded my fabric by color about 10 years ago. I had a shelf fail last week, and you know how one thing leads to another...I shined up the whole stash. Took me under two hours to back to perfect. The key is putting things back when finished ;) Good luck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The words "shelf fail" strikes a bit of horror into my soul! And I think you're right, it's all about staying on top of things.

      Delete