Thursday, January 26, 2017

Frozen

A couple of weeks ago, I think I may have mentioned that I’ve been on bird-feeder-filling duty since my husband has been recuperating from what might be a torn ligament in his foot. (I say ‘might be’ because there is an MRI scheduled to determine the extent of this foot injury—I’ll spare you all the gory details).

At any rate, we’ve had quite a varied winter so far. A fair bit of snow, then a really, really cold snap, then a thaw (all the snow melted), and this week we were back in the deep freeze with just enough snow to cover the ground and make things look pretty without creating too much of a hazard for driving.

This morning on my daily trek to care for the local wildlife, I was struck by a sense of calm and beauty around me. Every single tree branch had a coating of ice and snow.



With only a slight breeze, the tree branches above me made a gentle ever-so-slight crackling sound as the ice-covered branches clicked together.

I could see I wasn’t the first one to visit the yard. . . Deer and squirrel tracks were everywhere!



There’s a bit of repair work waiting for the springtime. But now, the contrast of dark wood and white frosting seem somewhat restful. A quilt inspiration?



A pot of mums. Still pretty, but quite different from their fall bloom.



I’m not sure what this plant is, the hubs says its a type of Eupatorium (snakeroot), but what I can say that it blooms in late September and it’s located right next to my office window.

Since it’s one of the last to bloom in the yard, the flowers draw bees and hummingbirds like crazy when all the other plants are spent. As fall deepens, the hummingbirds leave and the incoming juncos feast on the seeds throughout the fall. All of this makes for very close, undetected viewing from my vantage point just inside my office window.

Right now it’s ‘winter interest’ until the spent branches are cut back in the spring and the growing cycle begins again.



Alright, that’s enough of the tour! Thanks for indulging me in sharing a little taste of central New York January. Next up, Central Florida January . . . my flight leaves tomorrow for the quilt cruise!


Happy Stitching!

Joan Ford

No comments:

Post a Comment