Thursday, September 8, 2016

An Idea and A Search

About a week ago, I got a quilty idea that spurred a search to unearth an old cross stitch book. Mind you, this isn't a book that I've used or even seen in years. In fact, the book - a collection of nature-oriented cross stitch patterns - would have had to move households at least four times with me over a period of 20+ years.

We all have places where we store that kind of thing - stuff you used a long time ago, liked, and kept, even though you know deep down that you may not really use that thing again. Sometimes its a basement cubby, and in my case a spare bedroom shelf.

Well, I went a-searching, and I found something--not the book I was looking for, but a couple of the by-products of that book, as well as a few other treasures.

For starters, these two pieces. Stitching completed, yet unfinished. What a shame to have done this much work, then stopped.



Look at the detail! Right down to the glimmer in each tiny little birdie eye. The whole design is about 2-1/2 x 6" on 18 count (per inch) aida cloth.



And there's more.

Right there with the two cross stitch pieces two more complete pieces, literally tossed in the corner. This one . . .



 . . . and this one . . . This one is more of a bargello than cross stitch. But still really nice, looking pathetically incomplete.



Okay. Sometimes your next challenge finds you, rather than the other way around. I gotta make something out of these guys. Just gotta.

Oh, and by the way. I didn't find the book. At least not in my household search. I did find a used copy on amazon and bought it for $9. It's in pristine condition. Notice that the original price, from publication back in the early 80s was $6. Shaking my head!



Maybe once I finish those stitcheries, I can get back to that original idea I had . . . what was that again?

* SQUIRREL! *

Now, it's your turn--What hidden treasures are lurking in the dusty corners of your house, forgotten? Maybe it's time to go on a scavenger hunt. To be honest, I can't wait to make these four items into something fabulous . . . I'll keep you posted!

Happy Stitching!
Joan Ford

No comments:

Post a Comment