Thursday, February 27, 2014

99 Bottles!

This quilt is named '99 Bottles' from the book ScrapTherapy, Scraps Plus One! for a very good reason. There are nearly 500 9-patches that finish to 1-1/2" square in the blocks. The whole 9-patch is 1-1/2"! That means that each little, little piece is 1/2". Otherwise known as 'itty-bitty!' When I first made the quilt, I never really intended for it to become a pattern. I thought, 'who would ever want to make this?'




Turns out, a lot of people do! And so this past Saturday I headed to Watkins Glen, New York. Hosted by O'Susannah's Quilts & Gifts, where about 40 of us worked on the quilt in and all-day workshop. And it was SO much fun!

I love the 'before' picture of the room. It looks so calm and orderly. But not very lively.




Then quilters fill the room with sewing machines, colorful fabric, laughter, and camaraderie. And everything comes to life!




Yep, there they are 1" squares. . . really!




But, you know me! I've got a make-it-more-fun demo for everything! (My demo table looks a little chaotic right now - not unlike my sewing studio!)




Of course, all this creating makes a quilter hungry! After some wonderful homemade soup, we were treated to yummy brownies, served with a smile from Sandy!




Some happy quilters. . .




. . . and some little ta-da moments. . .




. . . and some really big ta-da moments!




What a happy day!

By the way, everyone at the workshop got to sample the newest ScrapTherapy tool--the Mini Scrap Grid! Printed fusible interfacing printed by Quiltsmart! It makes those little miniature 9-patches so much fun! And SO much easier! This stuff is addicting! It's different from the standard grid interfacing--the folding lines, sewing lines, AND cutting lines are all there!




I've been whipping up little scrappy mug rugs like crazy! Aren't they cute?? The whole thing is 5" square.




Now, before you go looking for the interfacing or the patterns in my online store . . . they aren't there just yet . . . but they will be! . . . it's that new! You're getting a little sneaky peek at some new projects coming your way soon . . . VERY soon!

In the meantime, do me a favor, and mention the ScrapTherapy Mini Scrap Grid at your local quilt shop! They might like to have it handy for your next visit! Tell 'em to drop me a line or check with their favorite distributor. You are gonna love it!

Happy Stitching!

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I am speechless. 1 inch squares sewn to 1/2 in in 9 patch!?!!? My hat is off to you! I could never deal with that small of square pieces like that! a few here and there okay, but not for a whole quilt! That is amazing. Makes me think about a swap I am in if you'd like to join...it is a postage stamp swap where everyone cuts sets of 100 sqs...1.5, 2, 2.5 inch (you choose what size you want to cut) and then we swap 100 for 100. I am doing 2.5 size. This would be perfect if you'd like to join..It starts in March
    http://fabricandmemories.blogspot.com/2014/02/organizing-my-scraps-thanks-to-swap.html

    ReplyDelete