Thursday, January 30, 2014

California Dreams

Last week, I spent a couple of days in California, teaching at Road to California in Ontario.

Road to California is a huge quilt show with tons of amazing quilts and tempting vendors. My classes were early in the week, and I had to get back home even before the show opened. I was sorry to leave without seeing the displays, but was thrilled with the two workshops I taught. Everyone seemed to have a great time, including me, especially after my luggage finally caught up with me. And it was wonderful to have a little break from the cold weather we've been experiencing here in upstate New York.

You know you are in the right spot when the name of the event logo is projected on the convention center wall!



For someone who lives in California, this is probably an average, run-of-the-mill flower bed. But when you live someplace where the predominant flower bed color in January is white, it warms the soul to see all this color!



Happy Poppy!



The Sweet Revenge quilt was the class project for Monday. It's an ambitious, but easy quilt. Even so, several blocks in a variety of scrappy colors made their way to the finish line.



On Tuesday, the workshop project was Stained Glass. A cool quilt with a great technique that makes the super-sized block easier than you'd think to assemble. After one day of sewing, several quilts were well on their way to completion!



A bird's eye view of the main entry way. This is before you even get into the show.



Back at the hotel, the lobby looked like a tropical paradise. More color. . .


. . . and orchids too.



With my internal body clock set to east coast time, it's easy to rise in time for the sun's grand entrance. I bet a summer sunrise looks similar from my own New York State window. . . . well, maybe without the palm tree! But I'm not so much an early riser in the summer.



Back at home, the cold reality sets in. This plow operator, at least, has a sense of humor. Check out the message on the plow blade!


Speaking of Spring, right after that comes Summer. And in July, I'm going on a cruise to Alaska. This week I've been working on the cruise project. I have to tell, you the Hoffman batik precuts are just fabulous and the quilt is going to be amazing! I'm very excited! Here's a sneaky peek for you. Are you coming along on the cruise? There are still a few spaces left, but one of these days, I'm going to announce that the cruise is all booked, and won't you be disappointed to know someone else took your spot? Make your reservation! Call Michelle at Quilt Retreat at Sea (210-858-6399). Packages for quilters and non-quilters, too!


"Think Spring!" and  . . .


Happy Stitching!
joan

No comments:

Post a Comment