Thursday, April 11, 2013

I am a Material Girl!

A quilty thing happened on the way to Washington, DC. Last weekend, I attended the Creative Arts Business Summit . . . and on the way, I made a side trip to the Material Girls Quilt Boutique in La Plata, Maryland!

In Maryland, I pulled into the gas station to fill up after the long drive from Syracuse, NY to La Plata. Once I filled up, a little lighted sign showed up on the gas pump screen . . .  Would you like a car wash today?

Oh my goodness YES! My car was covered with road salt from the Syracuse winter. Once the car was blue again (as opposed to salt-coated), I pulled in front of the shopping strip where Material Girls Quilt Boutique lives. My GPS and the sign told me I had arrived at my destination!


And so did the sign on the door. . .


A step inside the door, and I have arrived! The shop is bright and sunny, filled with a luscious fabric selection.


 . . . I want some of that. . .and that. . .and that!


The high ceilings throughout the store give it a really up-to-date look. Your next Bernina sewing machine is waiting for you right here in this room!


And I could lose hours and hours sewing and sewing in the stitch lounge. It's quiet now, but imagine all the creative juices flowing when this room is a-hoppin'!


Every corner of the store offers a fresh perspective and lots of fun products to sooth your creative itch.


Care to share a bench? This line of fabric reminds me that the Atlantic Ocean is just around the next corner or two. Maryland crab cakes, anyone?


Hey, where did all these happy quilters come from? Some 50+ sewists came to see the trunk show. Wowee!


And the show-and-tell. Sheila made her scrappy quilt and put some team spirit on the back!


And of course, time to sign books and have a chat.


Now, you didn't think I'd go away empty-handed did you? What's in the pink bag? Well, you'll just have to wait to see!


The pink bags are helping the 'Girls' celebrate their 10th Anniversary. I can't wait to see what the next 10 years will bring, don't you agree?

Happy stitching!
Joan

4 comments:

  1. Hi Joan - Yes, I agree. Congrats to you too, on your signing. Could you tell me what are the images hanging in the photo uner, 'Every corner of the store offers . . . ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are pattern covers. The covers are tied onto a red ribbon and spaced on the ribbon and then the ribbons were spaced across the door frame so they moved with the air circulation like a mobile. It was a really cute display and great use of the unused door way space!

      Delete
  2. Your trunk show was great, your quilts beautifu. Thank you for your creative Scrap Therapy Method! Feedsack Peaks Quilt was a lot of fun to make, and Thrown Together Pilllow is too.

    Thank you,
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheila, I had a great time! Loved your quilt! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete