Thursday, January 3, 2013

Souper Season!

It's getting late, and I still have some packing to do for my trip to Newtown, Connecticut to deliver quilts - lots of them. I leave early this morning (Thursday, January 3), with a very full car and lots of hugs for the people of Newtown.

Many thanks to all the quilters who sent quilts that will now be on their way to families and first responders. More details here.

Since I'm on the run, and since it's that season, I thought I'd share a favorite soup recipe. Comfort food. It seems a perfect time for a steamy bowl of something yummy, doncha think?


I love, love, love mushrooms! Unfortunately, my husband doesn't like them very much. So, when I have a hankerin' for a serious mushroom fix, this soup is the ticket. It's rich and creamy and loaded with as many mushrooms as you care to add. Perfect to take the chill off a wintery day.

So, do some chopping and throw some ingredients on the stove. Then find yourself a cozy quilt and wrap yourself in warmth, inside and out.

Enjoy!

Joan



Country Mushroom Soup


1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup chopped onion
3 teaspoons oil
4-5 cups fresh sliced mushrooms
2/3 cup half & half

Melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add broth until smooth, then add salt and pepper. Simmer uncovered about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

In another pan, saute onion and mushrooms in oil until tender. Add to broth mixture, then bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer uncovered about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add half & half, heat through.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Joan, I bought your book/magazine this past summer then found you on the web and now I get your newsletter by email way over here in China. It keeps me connected to the quilting world. I read your latest message about going on a quilt retreat in the Adirondacks. I used to go on retreats in the Adirondacks before I had my daughter and thought, I wonder if it is the ones I used to go to.....Then I you mentioned Minnowbrook...Now I have never been to Minnowbrook but my mother has, several times with Ruth Norray on her retreats. If that is who you are going with I envy you and please tell her, Ramona says "Hi" from China. I think she will remember me but if you tell her my mother is Carolyn, she will definitely know who I am. Thanks for making a great book/magazine with all your beautiful quilts.

    ReplyDelete